Volunteers are the backbone of Special Olympics Montana. We could not exist without the dedication of thousands of Montanans. In Montana, we count on over 4000 volunteers across the state. The time, energy and enthusiasm of volunteers fuel our movement and make our athletes’ dreams a reality.
At Special Olympics Montana, there is a place for everyone. The sports-minded can find a place coaching. Local business people can utilize their talents as an event organizer. Students can devote their passion to a competition, and retirees can support in a multitude of coordinator roles. At the end of the day, all volunteers have one thing in common, pride in knowing they are providing opportunities to individuals with intellectual disabilities.
Day of Event Volunteers
- Day of Event Volunteers are people who assist in event planning and/or participate at Special Olympics Montana events & games, but are not necessarily in contact with athletes on a regular basis.
- No application is required, but Day of Event Volunteers must provide a photo ID upon check-in.
Examples: registration, score-keeping, timing, staging of athletes, and help with award presentations.
Class A Volunteers
- Volunteers, who have regular, close physical contact with athletes. Volunteers in a position of authority or supervision with athletes.
- Volunteers in a position of trust of athletes.
- Volunteers who handle substantial amounts of cash or other assets of the Program.
Examples include: area management team members, coaches, unified partners, athlete leadership program mentors, overnight hosts, local program coordinators, and drivers for athletes.
To become a Class A volunteer, please complete our Volunteer Application and the Online Protective Behaviors Training. Protective Behaviors can be completed online or by submitting it with your Volunteer Application to the Special Olympics Montana headquarters via email, fax: 406-454-9043, or mail: PO Box 3507, Great Falls, MT 59403, or call the state office with questions at 406-216-5327.Class A Volunteer Openings Volunteer Handbook