A Youth Activation Committee (YAC) is a group of student leaders with and without intellectual disabilities who work together to plan activities and serve as advocates for Special Olympics Montana. YAC members provide advice and counsel on Special Olympics Montana’s Unified Champion Schools programming to reach other youth, engage in and promote activities and initiatives in their home environments, and network with other youth and local programs.
Responsibilities for the 2017-2018 State Youth Activation Committee include:
- Attend Kickoff Conference – September 7-8, 2018 (Transportation cost, meals, and lodging provided)
- Participate in 9 monthly Conference Calls – the 1st week every month (computer with webcam required)
- Attend Midyear Conference – February/March Dates TBA (Transportation cost, meals, and lodging provided)
- Attend all scheduled meetings between September 1 and June 1
- Serve as a student ambassador for Special Olympics Montana
- Learn, understand, and promote Special Olympics Montana’s Unified Champion School programs
- Use knowledge developed through the YAC to lead Unified Champion School programs in your community
- Host or support a Whole School Engagement activity in your community
- Volunteer at an Area, Regional, or State Special Olympics Montana competition event
- Attend at minimum one Inclusive Youth Leadership Summit (MBI Youth Days) event
- Attend at a minimum, two Area Management Team meetings
- Participate in at least one public speaking engagement to promote Unified Champion Schools and Respect
- Assist with SOMT conferences, campaigns, and fundraisers
- Represent Special Olympics youth by serving on other organization committees and boards
- HAVE FUN!
If you would like to apply for Special Olympics Montana’s State Youth Activation committee click here. If you are having trouble completing the online application, you can contact Jami Williamson at email@example.com.
2017-2018 State Youth Activation Committee Members